Even though I don't intend on sweating through 50,000 words, I still would like the benefit of working towards a goal. I was inspired by a friend's blog to do my own alternative challenge for the month of November.
This is how it works (information from A Writer's Journey)...
The focus of this challenge is to get writers to finish their projects, or work through writer’s block, or just get a block of writing done, they might not normally be able to achieve.
- You can write on ANY project, regardless if its fiction or non-fiction.
- You can write on any project you’ve already started, and hope to complete.
- You can select any word count daily or weekly to achieve at the end of the November month.
- You must stick to your word count. Break it up into daily but also weekly challenges. This will allow for sick days or breaks you might require. For example, you can select 1000 words a day, which equals 7000 words a week. Providing you’re writing that goal at the end of the week, you ‘win’.
- You do not have to show your writing, or the word count. We’re trusting you to be honest with yourself.
Want to know more? Check out A Writer's Journey to find out how to participate and some great benefits of being a part of this alternative challenge.
I for one plan on signing up. My goal will be 500 words a day for a grand total of 15,000 words on a novella I already have in the works. I also plan on blogging and working on another short story for an anthology commitment that I have, but this won't be in the official word count, so I will actually be writing much more than the 15,000 words. It will be tough to fit in my shedule, but I think with some perseverance and forethought it can be done. I welcome the challenge and motivation!
I will be keeping track of my word count on my blog (can be found at the top right column of my blog under NaNoWriMo Alternative Challenge heading) and updating it at least once a week, possibly more. Feel free to post your own word counts in the comment section of this post or on your own blog. I look forward to taking the challenge with you!