Quote of the Week

Quote of the week: “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison



Saturday, May 12, 2012

Marathon Writer: Riding the High

Picture taken by my bored and frustrated son.

Well, I just finished probably one of the most intense writing sessions ever since the writing bug bit me a little over 6 years ago. I can hardly believe it, but I managed a whopping 45,000 words in one week on a new novel idea. Yep, 45,000 in ONE week. The most I ever wrote in a stretch was 50,000, which was over a full month for the NaNoWriMo in 2010, so for me this is HUGE deal.

 I've been sitting on this story idea since Janurary of this year. I didn't write on it, because I didn't feel like I had a story worth pursuing, but over the last few months the idea just kept building and growing until one night I picked up the computer and wrote two chapters without breaking a sweat. The next day I wrote three chapters and the day after that five, and so on. I just couldn't stop writing. The ideas kept coming and my fingers kept typing (and I'm pretty certain my keyboard was smoking there for awhile). For my efforts, I ended up with the first seventeen chapters and other snippet scenes to my new book idea.

This marathon of writing didn't come without a price. Unfortunately that meant I spent time on my writing that should have gone to other things like my four year old son. Now I'm paying the price with outright rebellion and lots of tantrums from my little guy. He wants his mommy time back. So whether I like it or not, my marathon has come to an end. I'm not entirely sure if it's from the guilt of ignoring my boy, or that I'm just burned out from all the writing, but even still it was a beautiful thing to be in the zone like that.

I know that inspiration like that doesn't come around very often (I'm the Queen of erratic writing), or maybe I should say that I unconsciously stunt that sort of inspiration because I can't afford the time with being a full time mom, but I hope that I can one day ride that high again, because for a writer it doesn't get much better than that.

Oh, and as for my new story idea...

Think Game of Thrones meets Star Wars and that's all I'm going to say- for now. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment