Quote of the Week

Quote of the week: “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison



Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Discipline of Writing

I have found that there are times that it is harder to write than others. It seems that everything else comes first or a minor distraction is enough to pull me away from the task at hand. A lot of times what it simply boils down to is not enough discipline. What do I mean about that?

Humans are creatures that work best on a reward system. Look at children. A parent rewards a child for doing something good and punishes them for doing something wrong or not doing something when it should be done. A similar approach should be taken by adults. Adults need that check and balance to get them to where they need to go. It's a basic form of motivation, but even more than that. It's holding oneself accountable.

I found that with my writing, if I reward myself for reaching goals and punish myself for not getting things done, that it creates the formula needed to write and not opt to do something else like pick up a book, play a computer game or watch Television. But what does this mean?

Well if I reach a story deadline, I usually treat myself to an extra special dessert, or I read a book I've been wanting to read for awhile, or if it's a really big deal then maybe treat myself to a professional massage.

But what if I don't reach my deadline or I keep floundering about with my writing? Then, I may cut off all access to the Television for a few days, restrict my access to the internet (social sites), or ban myself from eating chocolate for a few days (the worst punishment EVER!).

The rewards or punishments don't have to be extravagant. They just need to be in place to give borders and discipline. If you are one of these people who doesn't need checks and balances, then I salute you and envy you greatly, but for the rest of us it is a way to give oneself the perimeter in which to work in.

No comments:

Post a Comment