Quote of the Week

Quote of the week: “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” - Toni Morrison



Saturday, January 12, 2013

Writing is More Thinking Than Actual Writing

What is the most frustrating part about being a writer? I don't know about other writers, but for me its discovering a fabulous idea that I start writing on, and then part way into the story the idea fizzles, or I lose interest- So much for that fabulous idea. It gets tossed on that dusty shelf where all stories usually never get a second glance. After awhile, looking at the cluttered shelf can get more than a little depressing and I wonder, "Why can't I finish anything? Why can't I find a story I really want to write?"

Answer... Because I haven't spent enough time developing any idea to the point where I can really know it to feel it inside and out, up and down, and all the way through to the deepest core of the idea.

I've noticed as a writer that the stories I spend more time thinking on always come out clearer and more fully formed. In fact, as a rule now I don't even put my story to paper unless I have spent a days, weeks, or even months pondering on characters, backstory, emotional motivations, and different possible plot lines. Once I feel like I have a strong connection to the idea, then I begin to write it down. The words flow and I can't seem to write fast enough. The stories have complete structure beginning, middle, and end. The best part is I feel a much stronger connection to the characters than I ever did just plopping ideas down as soon as they are breathed life.

I recently heard a piece of advice Ray Bradury gave a fellow writer... "Writing is 99% thinking, and the rest is typing." When I heard that quote I could only think, "Wow, if only someone had told me that years ago it would have saved me a lot of trouble." But then I doubt I would have understood that as I do now.


Here are some Ways to Get the Mind Thinking.

3 comments: